Temporary Medical Insurance
Short term health insurance is important for anyone looking for a temporary medical coverage. It is suitable for a wide variety of people such as:
- Those who missed the open enrollment deadline for ACA compliant insurance
- New immigrants to USA
- Temporary workers and their dependents on H and L visas
- US citizens returning to the US after living abroad
- People between jobs
- Those waiting for their employer provided long term domestic insurance to begin
- Recent college graduates, including international students on OPT
- Those waiting to be eligible for domestic health insurance
- Early retirees waiting to enroll into Medicare
In order to be eligible for short term medical insurance, you must be under the age of 65 years and must live in one of the states where it is available.
It is very important to understand that short term health insurance is not suitable for everyone and that it doesn't provide the Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC) as mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If you are required to maintain ACA compliant insurance, you may be subject to penalties at the time of filing your tax return. Short term health insurance plans provide limited coverage, meaning it does not typically provide coverage for pre-existing conditions, preventative checkups, maternity, mental health, and other coverage included in Affordable Care Act plans.